Language technology for all: a challenge - Laboratoire Interdisciplinaire des Sciences du Numérique Access content directly
Book Sections Year : 2020

Language technology for all: a challenge

Abstract

Language technologies are mandatory to ensure language sustainability through multilingualism, aiming both at language preservation and communication. They are now widely spreading in everyday life through many applications, but they still need more research for more advanced applications, for better quality and especially for more languages. Presently, between 100 and 150 languages benefit from language technologies, with very variable levels of quality. This represents only 2% of the more than 7,000 languages that are used in the world (please see Chapter 1.2 on language documentation for data, graphs and topics like language in cyberspace). We should now find a way to address the remaining 98%, which include many indigenous languages. 4.1.2 Definitions and descriptions Language technologies (LT) cover a large area, starting from basic components such as a writing system, graphemic code, keyboard, phonetic alphabet, spelling checker or grammar checker. Language technologies concern:  Written language processing (also called natural language processing, or computational linguistics): text understanding and generation, summarization, search engines, information retrieval, answers to questions (Q&A), chatbots, text analytics, access to knowledge, sentiment and opinion analysis, and also machine translation and cross-lingual information retrieval in order to get access to information, whatever the language in which it has been encoded.  Spoken language processing, which includes speech recognition and understanding, speech synthesis and generation, voice assistant, oral dialog, speaker recognition, emotion detection, and also language identification and speech interpretation.  Sign language processing, in terms of analysis, generation and translation (Bragg et al. 2019).
Fichier principal
Vignette du fichier
6_0_technology_final-3 (1).pdf (1.54 Mo) Télécharger le fichier
Origin : Files produced by the author(s)

Dates and versions

hal-04415222 , version 1 (24-01-2024)

Licence

Attribution

Identifiers

  • HAL Id : hal-04415222 , version 1

Cite

Joseph J Mariani. Language technology for all: a challenge. UNESCO Report on Languages, inPress. ⟨hal-04415222⟩
8 View
15 Download

Share

Gmail Facebook X LinkedIn More